+My boyfriend came home from work one day last week, sick as a dog. He works for a very small company, and 8 people were out with some kind of flu that was going around. He had a sore throat, he was feverish, he was all congested, had the sniffles, you name it.
After looking up some home remedies online, I was reminded of these vapor shower disks that Vicks used to make. Well, they no longer make them, so I thought I would try making these myself.
If you’ve never heard of these shower disks before, they are disks that you place on the bottom of your shower, and the hot water and steam activates the fragrances that clear your sinuses while you’re showering.
They were rather easy to make. You will need:
- Baking soda (amount depends on how many you want to make. 2 1/2 lbs make about 18 disks.
- Essential oils: Rosemary, Eucalyptus, and Lavender. (You can also substitute peppermint).
- About 1 1/2 cups of water.
- Muffin tins & liners (optional).
- Mix the baking soda and water until it makes a paste. If you put in too much water, add more baking soda.
- Add about 15 to 20 drops of EACH essential oil.
- Mix again, and make sure it is thoroughly blended.
- Pour into muffin tins (or liners).
- Either let sit about 12-18 hours, OR bake at 250º for about 1 hour and 10 minutes, until hardened.
Then, when you take a nice, hot shower, place the disks at the bottom of your shower, and let the vapors clear your sinuses and heal your cold. It works wonderfully!
Store these in airtight containers, paper bags, or Ziploc baggies. Baking soda and essential oils have no expiration dates, so they will last for quite some time. But I would suggest using them up within about 6 months or so, as they might lose a little of their potency.