First, let me say in no way am I a big fan of peanut butter. I like it in small doses, and as long as it’s smothered in chocolate. (Let’s face it, I’ll eat pretty much anything smothered in chocolate). My boyfriend on the other hand, is a peanut butter fiend. He loves peanut butter everything. He starts every morning with peanut butter in his oatmeal.
So when I found a version of this recipe, I thought I would make it for him. What I wasn’t planning on, was how much I was going to love these.
Most people make these in balls and drizzle a little chocolate on them. I’m finding as I’m getting older, I’m getting a little lazier. Well, maybe not really lazy, but I like to find shortcuts. I’m finding that making bars is WAY easier and quicker than making a million balls.
So here’s the recipe I used.
You will need:
- 6 Cups cornflakes
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 jar of creamy peanut butter (mine was 12 oz)
- 1 package chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet)
- Add 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of corn syrup to a medium sized saucepan. Turn on medium-high heat, and stir until it comes to a full boil
- Remove saucepan from heat, and add in your entire jar of peanut butter. Stir until the peanut butter is completely melted and you have a sauce.
- Pour your 6 cups of corn flakes into a large bowl. Pour the peanut butter sauce over the corn flakes, and mix until all corn flakes are covered in the mixture.
- Pour the corn flake mixture into a baking dish (I used about a 13×9 size) lined with parchment paper. Press down and fill out the pan with the mixture.
- Melt your chocolate chips in a double boiler or microwave. I used the microwave. Started with 1 minute, stirred, and then heated in 15 second intervals with stirring in between, until it was all melted.
- Pour the chocolate all over the cornflakes. With the back of a spoon, spread the chocolate all over the cornflakes to make an even layer. (Or you can just drizzle the amount you like)
- Let it cool at room temperature and then use a pizza cutter to cut into bars. (Note: If you place it in the freezer to cool, the chocolate may break when you cut it)
And for the record, when Chris got home from work and tried these, he could not stop eating them! He said they were one of the best things he’s ever tasted. I’m not even a big fan of peanut butter, and these are, in a word, INCREDIBLE.